Omicron Hospitality and Leisure Grant
The Omicron Hospitality and Leisure Grant is a government grant to support businesses that are experiencing difficulties because of the Omicron variant. Rate-paying hospitality and leisure premises can benefit from targeted grant payments at the following levels:
- £2,667 for businesses with a rateable value of £15,000 or under
- £4,000 for businesses with a rateable value between £15,000 and £51,000
- £6,000 for businesses with a rateable value of over £51,000
- Hospitality - for the purposes of this scheme, a hospitality business is defined as a business offering an in-person service to the general public for the consumption and sale of food and drink. However, please note that food kiosks and businesses whose main service is a takeaway are excluded from this scheme.
- Leisure - for the purposes of this scheme, a leisure business can be defined as a business that provides opportunities, experiences and facilities, in particular for culture, recreation, entertainment, celebratory events and days and nights out. However, please note that all retail businesses, coach tour operators, tour operators, gyms and sports businesses where physical exercise or training is conducted on an individual basis or group basis are excluded from this scheme.
- Accommodation - for the purposes of this scheme, an accommodation business can be defined as a business whose main lodging provision is used for holiday, travel or other purposes. However, please note that private dwellings, education accommodation, residential homes, care homes, residential family centres and beach huts are excluded from this scheme.
Additional exclusions - businesses that are in administration, insolvent or where a striking-off notice has been made. Grant income received by a business is taxable and the Omicron Hospitality and Leisure Grant will need to be included as income in the tax return of the business as well as the fact that State Aid limitations apply.
The government has confirmed that an application form will need to be completed for each business, there will be no automatic payment of these grants. Please note, the government requires all decisions regarding this grant to be finalised by Thursday 31 March 2022 in order to meet this requirement the application window will close at midnight on Friday 18 March 2022.